If you’re looking to try something new for your upcoming hookah session, keep reading because we have exactly what you’re looking for.
Fruit heads are an awesome way of mixing up your typical shisha session with your friends. Not only can you experience different and unique flavors, but you can also show off your creative artistic side (unless you don’t have one, like me).
What is a shisha fruit head exactly? The idea is to replace your hookah bowl with a fruit of your choice, that you will sculpt out. You then stuff your flavors in the fruit head as you would with your regular bowl. Fruit heads can really add some extra zip to your regular flavors.
Here are the pros and cons you need to know before making your first fruit head.
- Things are going to get messy. If you’ve ever made a jack-o-lantern, you can expect this process to be basically the same.
- Properly heating your flavors might be a challenge if the interior of your fruit head is damp.
- You will need to invest way more time in your session preparation. The clean up will also be more extensive.
- You will discover new and unique flavors otherwise impossible to create with regular shisha sessions.
- It can be a fun activity to do with friends or your loved one.
- If your regular bowl breaks, this can be a life-saving alternative until you receive a new bowl.
If you’re not sure which fruit to use for your bowl head, we’ve listed below the most commonly used fruits. You can get creative and use pretty much anything but ideally you want a fruit with a rigid exterior.
Now that you’ve decided which fruit you want to use, let’s go over the steps on how to create the head. Keep in mind the following steps are meant to be used as guidelines. Certain fruits will require additional specific steps but the idea is the same.
First step. Cut off the upper part of the fruit (approximately ⅓ of the fruit should be sufficient).
Second step. Remove all the filling within the fruit but make sure to leave at least 1 cm of thickness.
Third step. Grab a paper towel and gently damp the inside of your fruit to remove any excess juice. This might take a few attempts before you find your sweet spot. While you don’t want too much juice, you also don’t want to leave it completely dry as this will greatly diminish the flavor during your session.
The last steps before installing your fruit head is to cut out a small hole at the bottom and line it with aluminum foil. You’re going to want to poke a few tiny holes in the foil to allow the smoke to pass through.
At this point your fruit head should be all set and ready for action. Gently sit it on the top of your hookah and stuff your flavors in there.
Enjoy your session!